Below are some terms or abbreviations that you may come across in articles about sphincterotomy or when talking to your doctor.
- BM – Bowel movement, or passing motion.
- Botox – A method of treatment for anal fissure.
- CRS – Colon Rectal Specialist
- EST – Endoscopic Sphincterotomy
- IBD – Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- LIS – Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy, the most common type of sphincterotomy.
- MoM – Milk of Magnesia
- Sitz bath – a bath by sitting on shallow water, where you dip your lower body in (usually warm) water to clean and soothen your lower body after BM.